Cora’s 471 Grill And What Came You Here

 Cora’s 471 Grill And What Came You Here To Do?    

By James C. “Chris” Willimas IV – Staff Writer

I had been enjoying the scenery as it passed steadily by on both sides of the truck. I realized I hadn’t been out this way in a while and was glad I had decided to drive out here to meet John.Along with enjoying the sights, I reflected about John Deacon and what he has meant to me. You know, over the past several years I have been seeing John every month for a meal and Masonic Light. During that time there has been plenty of aggravation and some laughs, and oh yes, a whole bunch of money spent in the attempt to keep him properly fed. Over that time, he has become so much a part of my life that I do look forward to sitting down with him and just talking. He is my Brother in so many more ways than the obvious. We have been asked quite a few times over the years by people who had no idea the depth of the answer to the question, if we were Brothers. And we always responded, usually in unison …yes. He keeps my mind, which tends to get fuzzy sometimes, in


an inquisitive state and always searching for answers 
.  whichleads to more questions and hopefully more answers.  

When I began my journey as a Mason I was, as most of you were I am sure, pleasantly surprised to find out that many of our lessons attempt to answer some of those nagging questions of life that the Great Architect has programmed into our minds to pursue….questions that, although we sometimes try,  we cannot ignore…..and not so much to answer those questions outright but more importantly to give us the “tools” with which we can answer those questions for ourselves and in a way which makes sense in our own minds and our own lives. I thank HIM every day for this guide.  this blueprint…this Masonry, which has brought my mind into a focus that has long been wanting. It has led me to levels of clarity and understanding that I never thought existed and never thought I could achieve. And what of the answers to those questions? Whence came you? What came you here to do? Where go you? Until I was made a Mason, I didn’t realize I had been asking and seeking the answers to those questions my whole life. I have had this nagging feeling ever since I was a small boy that I am supposed to do “something” …….and I feel like I should know what it is.  but I don’t……and I want to. And now I realize that the “What came you here to do?” has been on my mind almost from the beginning of my thoughts. And no, Masonry has not given me the definitive answer to that question, nor has the Great Architect himself enlightened me…….that I know of, but I now have, as if the answer was there for me to find within myself the whole time, a framework to build on what I am convinced will lead me to the answers I seek. I ask myself often if it is only the one question that I am concerned about? As far as I can tell, the answer to “What came you here to do?” is the answer that will unlock the truths of the other two questions.  At my present age, the need to answer that one is very strong.  I did not find Masonry until my late 30’s and I worry sometimes that time will run out before I find all the truths I seek.  I pray that I will not be called before I have had the time to “accomplish my day.”

I snapped out of my trance as I saw the sign announcing that Cora’s 471 Grill was just ahead.  I had never been to Cora’s, but it came highly recommended by my niece and her boyfriend as having the best nachos ever.  When John told me where he was, I remembered the place was near and told him to meet me there and hung up quickly before all the usual questions about the food.  He would just have to be surprised like me.  As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed on the sign that the Nachos were not only the best but were actually “The Best D*** Nachos in Texas.” I knew then I had picked the right place since nachos were one of John’s favorites.  I found a place to sit way back in the back corner and waited for his highness and wideness to show.  It occurred to me that when I get somewhere before him and try to get us seated as far away from everyone else, he seems to not get us in trouble as much.  Those of you who read this article regularly, you know what I am talking about.  For those of you who don’t, I will just say that the trouble is usually directed towards me .  because of him….and I am the one having to clean up the mess….and pay the darn bill.  The sad truth is that this article is and has always been his words and his opinion.  I would like to say that those opinions are not necessarily the opinions of the writer of the article but more often than not, I agree with him.  I guess that’s why I put up with him like I do. Finally, I saw his big 6 ft. 7 in. 275 lb. frame wedge itself through the door and I waved him back to where I was.  “Hello there Brother John,” I said cheerfully as we shook hands (Yup, that grip).  “How have you been?” “Brother Chris,” he replied looking around for someone to serve us.  “I am fine, you are fine, and everyone else is fine and we don’t have time for chit chat.  Did you see that sign out there about the Best D*** Nachos in Texas? I am gonna have an attack or something worse if I don’t get some of them Nachos out here quick.” With the trouble warning going off in my head I joined him in looking around for a wait person.  Seeing us waving like a couple of crazy people a young lady came over.  “What is your name, darling,” John asked way too quickly.  “Eila May” she answered just as quickly.  “What can I get you?” With a big smile he said, “Eila May, that is a beoooootiful name.” I saw her smile and roll her eyes, “You look way too in a hurry for small talk.  Just tell me what you want.” He let out a big laugh which caused everyone in the room to turn and stare.  “If you will bring me a couple of Super-Size orders of those Nachos you have with everything you can put on them suckers, and the largest glass of iced tea you can find, I will be a happy man…..and oh yes bring my Brother here whatever he wants. And don’t forget to Super-Size mine now.” She looked at him seriously and said, “Are you sure?” I just nodded and said, “Trust me, he is sure, and it will be all right.  Just bring me a regular order of the same thing and the same drink and be ready for him to order more.” “OK, as long as, you are sure.” I heard her say as she turned towards the kitchen.  I remember wondering what she meant by that.  It couldn’t have been more than a couple of minutes when we heard a crash behind us and turned to see a younger man who was obviously inebriated.  Eila May was standing next to his table where he had intentionally knocked several empty beer bottles off the table onto the floor.  He was loudly berating her for refusing to bring him more to drink.  The whole scene was bad enough to start with but made worse because there were a couple of families with their children having lunch also.  I heard John mumble, “this ain’t right” under his breath.  I immediately had the recollection that every time I heard John utter those words they were always followed by a definite action.  Then I heard him say, “That boy is in D.N.A.W.” “DNAW?  What the heck does that mean John?” I asked and immediately regretted it.  Without missing a beat he said, “That boy is in Dire Need of an .  “Hold it right there, John,” I interrupted before he could finish.  I am a Texas boy, and I can figure out what the A.W. stands for but you are twice his size.  Do you think that’s necessary?” He just stared at me for a second and shook his head sadly and said, “Brother Chris, once again it is necessary for you to pull your mind up out of the gutter.  It stands for in Dire Need of Aggressive Wisdom and I have seen more than enough.” 

Before I could stop him, he was up and halfway across the room.  He clamped his two massive hands on (because I never caught his name) D-NAW’s shoulders and eased him down into his seat.  He resisted and tried to stand up again, but John held him down. D-NAW craned his head far enough around that he could see the size of the hands on his shoulders and stopped struggling. Big John leaned down and I could tell that D-NAW had his undivided attention.  Smiling, John said in a low voice right in his ear, “My friend, we can do this the easy way or the hard way.  You need to know that you don’t get to be bad in front of good people.  Do you understand that?” All saw was a blink of hiseyes, but John took that as an affirmative and continued on.  “The easy way is for you to just calm yourself down and start acting like a normal enough person.  How does that sound to you?” That got no response and John continued, “I didn’t think so.” He looked up at Eila May and asked, “What do you want me to do with him?” “I just want him gone, but I don’t want him driving.  We all know him.  One of the bus boys will drive him home.”  John nodded and turned back to D-NAW and said, “Are you still with me?” After a very small nod he continued, “So here is what we are going to do.  You are going to give Eila May your keys.” D-NAW quickly shook his head showing he was definitely listening.  John squeezed both shoulders a little more and the keys appeared instantly.  “When you come back tomorrow to get your keys back, I want you to apologize to everyone for your making this trouble.  Now we are going to walk out to a car that is going to take you home, ok?” That got no verbal response, but he slowly got up with John holding him steady and making sure he wouldn’t break anything else, and they made their way outside.  As John eased him into the back seat he said, “I will leave you with some friendly advice, sometimes it is better to keep quiet and leave people wondering if you are an imbecile, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.” I honestly don’t know if his words of wisdom were heard because when John let him go, he just collapsed and was snoring before his head hit the seat.  John asked the driver if he needed some help and was told that he could get him home ok and John and I and Eila May went back into Cora’s.  On our way back to the table John got several appreciative glances and a couple of handshakes.  The minute we sat down Eila May emerged from the Kitchen with our Nachos and that’s when my mouth dropped open in total shock.  Here she came with two trays the size we used to use in school to carry our food on.  Each was covered from end to end to end with the most delicious looking nachos I have ever seen.  I looked over at John as she placed them on the table.  Instead of being shocked, he was giddy with excitement as he asked for more jalapenos and cheese.  She smiled and told me mine was coming right out.  Thank goodness mine were a regular order.  John informed Eila May to get another tray going for him and then dug in like a man who hadn’t eaten in a week.  As I was eating, I got to thinking about our intoxicated friend.  I had been reflecting on what had happened.  It just seemed like everywhere I turned there were people out of control with no sense of shame or idea of right and wrong.  John could see that something was bugging me and asked what I was thinking.  I told him it was no big deal, and I was waiting for him to finish so I could get some Masonic wisdom to put in the newsletter for next month.  “Well then we got us a problem,” he said as he popped the last nacho in his mouth and waved to Eila May for more tea.  “Why is there a problem,” I asked, glancing down at my plate which happened to be empty.  I must have been daydreaming thinking about everything and didn’t remember finishing my Nachos and when I looked up at John, he avoided my stare.  I am pretty sure he ate most of my lunch but there was no way he was going to admit to it.  I waited for his answer and finally he sheepishly admitted that he had nothing for the newsletter.  “What do you mean you have nothing,” I yelled at him?  “You mean to tell me that I drove 50 miles to meet you, then you have an altercation with one of the customers, you eat every nacho in the place, and to top it off you ate most of my lunch and then you tell me you got nothing for me? Is that what you are saying?” John’s face was red, and he was visibly uncomfortable.  Eila May was looking on from across the room and she seemed amused that a guy half of John’s size had him on the ropes.  “Wait a minute,” he stammered.  “I didn’t eat many of your……” “So, you did take my lunch,” I growled shaking my finger at him.  Well, you can bet your “Super-Size” Levis that I am not paying this time.” 

I don’t know if I was as mad at him as I was worried about having to come up with something for the column.  I didn’t know what else to say so I just stared at him.  He was as shook up as I have ever seen him.  Eila May set his tea on the table and gave him a sympathetic shake of her head before she walked away.  Heck, I guess everyone had heard us.  Finally, I sat back and just stared ahead.  He never said a word and then I realized that the whole place was quiet too….and they were staring at us.  

I don’t know where it came from, but I leaned forward and motioned for him to do the same.  When he did, I looked him in the eyes and said, “What came you here to do?” At first, he just looked at me, and when his expression changed from puzzled to intent, I knew he was thinking.  It took him just about 30 seconds and he had it.  Then he sat back in his chair and asked, “Why do you ask?”  I began telling him what I was thinking about on my way to meet him and as I talked, I could see him getting into the moment.  When I was done, he grinned and said, “I am pretty sure that you aren’t asking me the ritualistic answer to that question.” I just nodded and he finally smiled and then………he got all his mojo back.  “Brother Chris, I truly believe that I am doing now what I came here to do.  As hard as it is to believe, I was not always the intelligent and wise person you see before you now………now cut that out!  It’s not thatfunny!” I burst out laughing and I was having a hard time stopping.  “Ok,” he said with a serious look on his face.  “Just stop laughing and let me explain.”  I finally got myself under control and he continued.  “Maybe those weren’t the best choice of words I could have used but what I mean is that I did not always have the confidence I now have, nor enough knowledge to feel comfortable sharing.  Heck, there was a time that my mind was so full of stupid stuff it was a wonder that I could even get through the day without screwing something up.  I always had this idea of the person I wanted to be.  the person that I wanted everyone to see.  I knew what the end looked like, and as crazy as it sounds, I just didn’t have a clue as to how to get there.  I was pretty sure that all the stuff inside my mind that I tried to justify to myself and others as being important was actually the problem.  I thought I was in control.  but I was anything but.  I told everyone I was happy, and I told myself I was happy but……….  I was lying to myself, and deep inside I knew it.  The worst part is that I had no idea how to fix it.  And then Masonry found me.  And I mean that.  I did not find the Craft, it truly found me.  A man I had known for some time and who I admired and respected was signing some papers in front of me.  I had said to myself on more than one occasion that I wondered how he had seemed to have it all figured out.  He was,I could tell, a happy guy.  I happened to glance down as he signed his name and I saw his ring with the Square and Compasses and it was an instantaneous flash of understanding,and somehow, I knew what I needed to do.  He and I talked and that was the beginning of my healing process.  I am convinced that The Great Architect planned that day and guided me to where I needed to be, just like he made Ol Blackie break down in front of your shop five years ago.  No luck, no chance, and no coincidence, just a plan.  I took up those builders’ tools many years ago and followed my path to happiness.  I truly believe that I am right here, right now because I am supposed to be, and this is “what I came here to do.” I read a quote by some guy named Bud or something like that.  He said that “When the student is prepared, the teacher will appear” That’s what happened to me.  When I was prepared my teacher (Masonry) appeared.” Dear reader it was all I could do to contain myself…but I did.  I had heard the quote before, and it is a great quote.  But the guy who made it was Buddha.  not Bud.  But I was not going to laugh at him again.  Not after he just gave me some great stuff for the newsletter.  But that didn’t mean he was completely off the hook though.  

I saw Eila May headed our way with the bill so I excused myself to go to the restroom so he would have to pay.  When I got back the bill was gone, and John said he had to get on the road.  He got up and grabbed my hand and gave me a big hug at the same time.  I thanked him and he said he would see me next month and out the door he went.  And as I stood there feeling good about the moment and my Brother John, I felt something in my hand and looked down and there was the bill for lunch that he had palmed to me when he shook my hand.  To make matters worse, as I stood there in shock staring at my hand, Eila May walked up and told me with a sweet smile on her face what a good friend I had.  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.  butI was pretty sure he was laughing his tail off right then.  Needless to say, IT’S PAYBACK TIME!! Oh, and before I wish you a great month, I want to ask all of you who read these words…….  ”What came YOU here to do?” think about it. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Profound Pontifications of Brother John Deacon

The Good, The Truth, And The Salt Grass

Finding Unexpected Light