The Profound Pontifications of Brother John Deacon

By James C. “Chris” Williams IV, Staff Writer

I got the call about 11:30 last Thursday morning and he interrupted me as soon as he heard my voice.  “I already know where you are taking me to eat,” he said in a gruff voice.  “And how are you doing today my Brother John,” I asked in a cheery tone.  “Please enlighten me as to where we are going so, I can call my banker and get a loan to pay for it.”  “You do realize that’s not funny,” he growled.  “But no matter.  You need to meet me at “Olive Garden” because I saw a TV commercial the other day about all you can eat soup and salad and bread sticks.”  Uh oh, big red flag.  “John, I don’t know if that is a really good idea.  You remember we almost got thrown out of the last place that had all you can eat.  I don’t want to go through that again.”  “Don’t you worry yourself about it Brother Chris,” he said happily.  “I plan on ordering a bunch of other stuff, so they won’t get upset.”  Wow, I thought, shaking my head in disbelief, I have never known anyone who could solve a problem and create a whole new one at exactly the same instant like John could.  I wondered if it was his duty in life to run me into bankruptcy.  I decided to just go with it, hoping we could have lunch without him making a scene.  I wanted to be able to eat there again since it was kinda close to my house.  But … alas… it was not to be.

I told him to go ahead and get there and put our name on the list cause it is almost always a thirty minute wait at least and I only have an hour for lunch and even though Leonard is pretty much ok if it goes every once in a while to an hour and a half we still wouldn’t have enough time.

I waited for about twenty minutes after he left before I started heading down there, and found him, hands on hips, with a big scowl on his face, standing with a whole bunch of other people waiting for a table.  I eased between a couple of ladies who seemed to be as unhappy as John was about waiting and asked him, “How much longer is the wait?” He actually had his lower lip stuck out like a pouting ten-year old kid and said, “Brother Chris, nobody knows nothing.  They gave me this little contraption (and he showed me a six-inch square piece of plastic) and said it would start a flashing and a viberating (yes he said vib-er-rating) when we could eat.  I ain’t never seen anything like this. I am hungry big time.” “Well,” I said.  “They ought to know how much longer we will be.  I don’t have all day.” “Well, I’ll see if I can find out,” he said, and I followed him to the hostess station where there were two attractive and pleasant young ladies who were being badgered one by one by the whole room. He asked one of them how much longer we were going to be, and she told him it shouldn’t be much longer and that is when I did it.  

Had I known what a big drama it was going to be beforehand I would have kept my mouth shut but I opened my mouth, and I asked the hostess, “How do we know that this thing works?” She kind of cocked her head and gave me a serious look and without saying anything punched a code onto her panel which set off John’s vi-ber-rator which set off a chain reaction neither I nor anyone else could have predicted.  As soon as that flasher thing went off in John’s hand, he let out a roar and yelled “HERE WE GO,” and before anyone could stop him started for the dining room.  The hostess yelled, “Sir….  Siiirrrr.  You can’t… “but he was already gone.  She looked back at me with a glare that I could actually feel the heat from and took off after John with me right on her heels.

By the time we found John he was already sitting at a table and Lynn was taking his…uhh… our drink order.  The hostess marched right up to him and told him that HIS table was not ready yet and to come back to the front.  He said, “Hold on there, little lady.  My vi-ber-rator thingy went off so it was our turn.” Well, she turned around and glared at me again and all I could do was mouth the word SORRY which didn’t seem to help her mood at all.  As she turned to lay into John again a guy who apparently was one of the managers walked up and said to the hostess, “It’s ok.  I will take it from here.”  After she left, he turned back to John and I and said, “That was one of the smoothest scams I have ever seen and if it hadn’t been so funny, I would have let Ana have at you.” And when he saw the shocked look on both of our faces he said, “I know you didn’t plan it, but it was funny just the same.  Enjoy your meal.” I sat down and gave John the angriest look I could muster, and he shrugged his shoulders and spread his hands out and said in a weak voice, “But the thingy went off.”  I refused to talk to him, and we just ordered.

Lynn must have wondered why we decided to have lunch together when we obviously had a problem with each other.  True to form he ordered all you can eat soup, salad, and breadsticks.  Then he ordered the Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo which is a meal and a half for most people and as usual I had to call the waitress back because she thought he was ordering for me too.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed an older couple glaring at us from a couple of tables away and two ladies sitting to our left who were doing the same.  I wondered why they were mad at us until I realized that we had probably been behind them in line for a table when John pulled his stunt.  He noticed it too because he was trying hard to keep from looking at them.  I said, “John, you know why they are mad at us don’t you?”  He just stared at me so I continued, “When your “thingy” went off we got seated before them and they should have been in front of us.” “I never thought about that,” he said apologetically.  “I don’t want them mad at me.” “It’s too late for that my Brother,” I answered.  “You are the bad guy right now.” “Don’t worry, I will fix it,” he said.  I didn’t know how he was going to do it, but he needed to do something.

Our food finally came, and he kept finishing his soup and asking for more.  I can’t even remember how many times she refilled the salad bowl or how many bowls of soup he consumed, but I stopped counting at six.  In between bowls of soup and salad he managed to consume the Steak Gorgonzola and kept eyeballing my plate the whole time.  I felt like I needed to curl my arm around my plate to keep him from taking it.  It sure is hard to eat like that.  I feel sorry for Mrs. Deacon.

At one point he was carrying on a low conversation with Lynn, no doubt ordering another of the four varieties of soup who did a lot of nodding before she took off for the kitchen.  I figured I was going to have to leave her a really good tip for the extra mileage she was putting in for John.  Finally, he seemed to be getting to a stopping point, so I figured it was as good a time as any to see if he had any words of wisdom.

He got a real serious look on his face and said, “Brother Chris, there are profound lessons in most everything you see every day.  I was at the Barber Shop the other day and an older man came in asked how much for a shampoo and a set.  The barber gave him a price and sat him down in the chair.  When he took off his hat the Barber said, “But sir, you only have three hairs on your head.” The old man said, “I know.  Just comb one to the right and one to the left and one straight back.”  So, the Barber started shampooing his hair and after a few seconds he said, “Oops!  One of your hairs just broke off and you only have two left.”  The old man said, “It’s OK, when you are done just put one to the right and one to the left.” (I have to tell you that I was really starting to wonder what the “profound lesson” was here.)  John saw the look on my face and shot me a narrow-eyed look and went on, “So the Barber resumed his shampooing and a few seconds later he said “Oops.  Sir, another one of your hairs just broke off and you only have one left.  What do you want me to do?” The old man thought for a few seconds and finally said, “Oh Heck with it, just finish the shampoo and leave it messed up.  Then, while I sat there with my mouth hanging open in confusion, he broke into a way too loud and way too long fit of laughter that sounded like a screeching hyena.  After realizing that people were staring at us he quieted down and as he was wiping the tears out of his eyes I asked him what the heck was the lesson there and he replied that “There wasn’t one that he knew of, but he liked the story so much he wanted to tell it.”  I told him to cut the comedy act and tell me something worth printing in the newsletter cause there was no way I was going to put that story in there.  (I guess that wasn’t exactly true)

He looked around like he was worried that someone might hear him and said, “Brother Chris I had a dream the other night.  I don’t ever have dreams, at least if I do, I don’t ever remember them.  But the other night I dreamt something that seemed so real ….  heck it just might have been real for all I know.  You know that I have been aggravated for a long time about some of the things that are going on in Masonry.  You know, things like the loss of members and our lackadaisical attitude towards preserving the purity and accuracy of the work, and the general lack of pride in our fraternity.  I have been thinking about all of it for a while and I guess that is why maybe I had the dream.  I don’t think I can ever forget it.  

Anyway, it started out that I was at a Lodge, and I realized that I was in the anteroom being prepared to be initiated as an Entered Apprentice Mason.  I remember feeling odd about it since I was already a Master Mason but for some reason I either didn’t or I couldn’t speak.  It was almost like I was watching all that was going on from a few feet away.  No one spoke and soon I was at the door knocking for admission and then I was admitted ….  in total darkness.  I strained to hear and understand every sound ….  every word spoken.  I knelt and I declared my fidelity to God and was then led for what seemed to be the longest time through several passageways and doors with great commotion, with my companion ….  my friend having to vouch for my character and ask that I be allowed to proceed.  It struck me that I didn’t even know him and yet he was pledging his honor that I was worthy of admission.  After every obstacle was cleared, I could feel his firm grip on my arm reassuring me that all was well.  All of a sudden, we turned a corner, and I was given a last opportunity to back out but with nervous anticipation and a firm resolve I asked to go on.  I then knelt at the altar of Freemasonry and took an oath to God to be the man he wishes me to be.  

Then with my heart pounding with excitement from the profound lessons I had just learned I was led to another place and then another where more lessons were received and then I was back in the ante room where I was astonished to find myself being prepared for another degree.  Brother Chris, while all this was going on it occurred to me that I was still in darkness and I was a little confused and I asked why, but no answer was given.  Words floated in and out of my memory….  “That my mind might conceive before my eyes beheld” … and I stopped worrying.

Soon, still in darkness I found myself traveling again….  in a different place it seemed, until once again I found myself kneeling and promising God to strengthen my mind and body and purifying my character to his satisfaction.  I was then told that to complete this part of my journey I would have to pass more tests and be vouched for again.  I was told that my ancient Brethren who desired further knowledge had traveled the same path and even though I couldn’t see, by the words spoken by my friend who now called me Brother, I could see clearly the path before me.  First, those sacred columns towering before me and then a stairway to an unknown place where I would find the answers I sought.  Slowly and carefully, we climbed the winding steps and even in darkness I could feel their pattern under my feet as their lessons and meanings were passed from instructive tongue to my attentive ear.  My Brother held me close and guided me with confidence through the narrow passageways where we once again had to prove ourselves worthy in order to pass.  Everything was familiar to me, yet my understanding was much more vivid.  We passed the last test, and we were standing alone in what seemed to be a large room.  I could hear the tiniest echo in my Brothers voice as he prepared me to receive further light.  My nervousness had returned as my Brother described our surroundings and I soon realized that we were not alone after all.  The Worshipful Master had been there all along.  I had heard his voice and others during my travels, and none were Brothers that I knew but their voices seemed vaguely familiar somehow.  The Master then gave me the answers to the questions I had asked, and in the darkness, I smiled as his words gave me light.  I was then ordered to return whence I came, and preparation began for one more journey.  

Brother Chris, in my subconscious somewhere I knew something big was coming but I couldn’t quite get a clear picture in my mind.  Before I could figure it out, I was off again on another trek.  This was by far the longest of the three.  As we walked and climbed, we passed places where sacred words were being spoken.  Some I could hear close by and others farther away, but we were never far from their comfort.  Again, as before, new obstacles prevented us from continuing without certain assurances from my Conductor/Brother.  Each time he was able to convince the keepers of our sincerity and they allowed us, sometimes grudgingly, to continue our journey.  And again, we came to a place where I solemnly took my third obligation to God, my Country, my Neighbor and Myself, and after prayer for my well-being, with pride I stood to receive even more of the light that I was promised.  

I found out to my surprise that I had another and a more dangerous road to travel and was told that I was to follow the footsteps of our ancient patron Hiram and before I could react all hell broke loose, and my conductor pulled me along as if trying to escape the commotion.  People were yelling at us, and they wanted something from me it seemed, but I did not have the answer.  We fled from place to place trying to get away, but in the end, there would be no escape.  Suddenly my life passed before my eyes.  I felt my spirit being carried away as I silently asked the Great Architect of the Universe for strength and forgiveness.  A cold and empty feeling came over me that all was lost, a feeling of being totally alone.  I felt that my journey was over and that somehow, I had failed.  So many emotions were going through my mind.  I was confused and honestly a little bit scared.  I strained to hear what was going on.  Everyone was looking for something and I realized it was me, but somehow, they couldn’t find me.  I wanted to call out to them, but I couldn’t.  I could hear my Brothers praying for guidance and strength.

Then they were trying to reach me.  My heart was pounding in my chest as I willed them to succeed and all at once a strong grip pulled me free and gave me new life.  I was overcome with happiness and relief as I held on tightly to my Brother as he gave me those last lessons that would last an eternity.  I heard the Worshipful Master order my Brother/Conductor who took my arm again to lead me to the East and upon arriving there my veil of darkness was lifted and below a brightly lit letter “G” his Masters jewel around his neck stood Brother George Washington who smiled and nodded his head at me. 

I just stood there with my mouth open in shock as he proceeded to welcome me and introduce the Brethren in the room.  As my eyes followed his around the room my disbelief was overwhelming.  Brother Ben Franklin nodded to me from the West and Brother Sam Houston waved and smiled from the South.  Brother Will Rogers was sitting in the Junior Deacons chair and that familiar voice I kept hearing in the ante room, now that I could see, belonged to Brother John Wayne our Master of Ceremonies.  Now I knew why he kept calling me “Pilgrim.”  As I circled the room my eyes pausing on every Brother I recognized Jim Bowie, Anson Jones, and Stephen Austin.  On the opposite side of the room Brothers Winston Churchill and Douglas McArthur sat together.  I was really struggling with all the emotions of everything that had happened but more importantly I wondered WHY all of this happened.  As I turned back to the East, I glanced over to finally see who my Friend/Brother/Conductor had been, the one who had brought me through all my journeys and made sure I arrived safely and there smiling at me and offering me a warm Brotherly grip and hug was Brother David Crockett.  

I can tell you Brother Chris my knees were pretty weak and shaking by this time, and then Brother George spoke to me.  He said, “My Brother, I know that you have been troubled lately with all the problems that Masonry seems to have.  I want to tell you and reassure you that Masonry has survived every kind of trial and calamity imaginable and still lives today.  The Craft and her members have been persecuted, harassed, imprisoned, and even slaughtered over the many centuries, and still she lives today.  Her principles and teachings are perfect and pure and will withstand any and all tests.  Masonry, my Brother, is like a soft and gentle breeze.  Not something that you can see but always present and always residing in the hearts and minds of good and true men, giving strength and direction according to the will of the Supreme Architect of the Universe.  Masonry, like the immortal soul of man will never, never, never die.  These Brothers have heard your concerns and have come together at this time and this place to reassure you and re-demonstrate to you the power and wonder of the teachings of our Gentle Craft, that you may go forward and help reassure other Brethren that their labors are not in vain and that Masonry is and always will be a force for what is good and what is right.  Do not despair My Brother and know that countless Brothers before you have struggled as you and your Brothers have, and because of those struggles Masonry is as strong as ever no matter how few or how many the membership.” Before I could thank him and the other Brothers he said, “go now and forever keep Masonry and your Brothers in your heart.  Go now and continue to live by the teachings of our Great Fraternity until we shall meet again in the Celestial Lodge above.” And as I watched, the whole scene faded out and the next thing I remember is my wife shaking me awake.  

She was asking, “Are you all right John?”  It took me a minute to get my head clear and I finally answered, “Yes, I am OK.  Why?”  “Well, you woke me up,” she said.  “You were talking in your sleep.  You were saying thank you, thank you, and there were tears rolling down your cheeks.  Are you sure you are, ok?” It took me a few minutes to reassure her that I was Ok.  She still thinks I am losing my mind.  Heck, she may be right.  It was the most awesome thing that has ever happened to me, and I don’t think I will ever forget it.   

So, that’s it.  Do you think I am crazy?” “Crazy?” I almost yelled.  “Heck John, I don’t think you are crazy, I think you are the luckiest Brother I know.  I got chills just listening to you.”

I looked up and the older couple we butted in front of were leaving and they were headed straight for us.  Here we go, I thought, we’re going to get an earful from these guys.  But to my total surprise they walked up to John and the man stuck out his hand and shook John’s and the lady gave him a hug.  They both said thanks to John and smiled at me as they walked away.  I don’t know when I have been more confused.  Lynn walked up and asked John if he wanted anything else and his reply was, “Young lady, that last bite totally ruined my appetite.  I think we are ready for the bill and my Brother here is going to take care of it.”  She looked at me and smiled as I handed her my credit card and all I could do was shrug.  Off she went and when she returned the two ladies who were mad at us had come over and they too gave John….  not me of course…… hugs and thanked him.  He said he had to make a trip to the “facilities” ….  I always wondered why some people call it the facilities….  and said he would wait for me outside and off he went.  

Lynn laid the charge slip down for me to add a tip and sign and thanked me.  I apologized to her for all the trouble with John and when I looked down at the charge slip, I nearly fainted.  I knew it was going to be a lot because he eats as much as four people.  I started taking inventory and it seemed like I was paying for somebody else’s lunch too, so I waved at Lynn, and she hurried over.  I told her there was a mistake on my bill and she smiled sweetly and told me that John had told her to put the bills from two other tables on our bill.  That’s when it hit me.  No wonder those other people were so nice to him as they left.  I paid for their lunches.  That’s how he “fixed” it.  What could I do?  I signed the durn thing and made a beeline for the door…… and John.  As I cleared the door, he roared past me in Ol Blackie waving.  Well, I was waving too, and it wasn’t exactly a friendly wave, if you know what I mean.  I heard him yell out as he went by, “Thanks for lunch, Brother Chris.  I’ll see you next month.  I continued to wave at him until an older lady walked by and gave me a dirty look.  I will get even with him.  You know what they say about paybacks.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Good, The Truth, And The Salt Grass

Finding Unexpected Light